Scholarship for First Responders
Congratulations to our Scholarship Winner – Maria Criselda DeLeon
Maria is a single mother of three children who is currently employed by the Albany Georgia Police Department and attending the University of Phoenix to earn her degree. Despite a rough upbringing and dropping out of high school, she returned to school to obtain her GED. While doing an internship with the Moultrie Police Department, she fell in love with policing and decided to save up enough money to enroll in the police academy. During this time, she had her third child while simultaneously beginning to train for entrance into the police academy.
All this time, she has managed to support her three children while also dedicating her time to making her community a safer place. Because of her courage and service in the face of adversity, we are happy to assist with her in paying for her schooling and are proud to announce her as our winner of the First Responder Scholarship.
Again, we would like to thank all of the applicants for sharing their stories with us and for all of their service in the line of duty. It is because of selfless acts by first responders like you that we can feel safe and know that help is just a phone call away when we need it.
First responders are an integral part of keeping our community safe. We place our lives in their hands and trust that they will be there during the scariest of times. Much of their hard work is behind the scenes and can go unnoticed.
Aside from their many acts of selflessness and sacrifice, many first responders are enrolled in classes and have desires to further their education. However, finding the necessary time and money can present significant barriers to their educational goals.
Sweeney Merrigan Law is devoted to representing individuals who have suffered an unnecessary and otherwise preventable harm. For this reason, Sweeney Merrigan Law would like to honor and thank emergency responders who are at the forefront of eliminating these dangers from our community. As a small thank you for their commitment to safety, Sweeney Merrigan Law is proud to offer a $1,500 scholarship to aid Fire Fighters, Police Officers and EMTs who are currently enrolled in classes.
To apply, applicants are asked to write a 500+ word essay that shares their story, past experiences, and how the scholarship can help them achieve their goals in the future.
Once all of the submissions have been received, the attorneys at Sweeney Merrigan Law will review the entries and award $1,500 to one applicant who has best demonstrates how the scholarship will help further his or her education and life goals. The scholarship funds can be used for any school related expenses, such as tuition, boarding, supplies, or books.
To Be Eligible, an Applicant Must:
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited technical school, college, or university in the United States;
- Be a U.S. Citizen;
- Have proper first responder certification (EMT, Paramedic, Police, Fire Fighter, and other emergency personnel);
- Submit a 500+ word essay.
To Apply, a Participant Must:
- Submit a 500+ word essay by September 1, 2016;
- Provide their first and last name, address, email address, and phone number at the beginning of the essay;
- Include a copy of their transcript or any form of verification that they are currently enrolled in classes at an accredited college institution.
- There is no printed application. All of the information you need is on this page.
- The contact information you submit is only used for identification purposes and distributing the scholarship to the winner; it will not be distributed to any other parties.
- We will not accept any CD-ROMs, letters of recommendation, resumes, or other documents.
- Do not call asking where to send submissions. Please email them to: email@example.com