How Efficient Is Your Motorcycle Safety Gear?
Riding a motorcycle is one of the most exhilarating ways to get to and from one’s destinations. However, despite the excitement of racing through the roads on a motorcycle, these motor vehicles can be highly risky and even dangerous if an accident occurs. As a motorcycle rider, it is important that you know whether or not the motorcycle gear you have entrusted to protect you if a crash occurs is doing its job efficiently.
At Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Lawyers, our team of personal injury lawyers has more than 45 years of experience and offers award-winning representation to victims injured in motorcycle accidents. If you have been injured due to your motorcycle safety gear being inefficient, you may be wondering whether you have the right to file a personal injury claim and collect compensation for your losses. Through trusted representation and strategic insights, we have helped clients pursue the compensation they deserve. Call 617-391-9001 or fill out our contact form to request a free consultation.
Table of Contents
Does Motorcycle Safety Gear Efficiently Protect Riders?
While every motorcycle accident case is different, there are minimum safety standards for riders to wear certain equipment that is not required but strongly encouraged to provide a layer of safety in the event of a crash. To decide whether your motorcycle safety gear is sufficient to protect you from harm, consider wearing the following gear every time you get on your motorcycle.
- Helmet: A helmet should be the first piece of safety gear you always reach for before going for a ride on the motorcycle. To ensure you have the best protection for your head when riding, choose a helmet that is approved by the US Department of Transportation.
- Motorcycle Jacket: There is a reason that motorcycle riders often wear leather jackets, and it has nothing to do with fashion. Leather is a highly durable material, and these jackets help protect riders from abrasions or cuts to their skin if they are thrown from the bike during an accident.
- Gloves: These gloves should fit snugly, allowing for complete freedom of movement in the fingers to control the motorcycle. These durable gloves must have adequate abrasion resistance to protect your hands from injuries or burns if there is an accident.
- Armored Pants: These pants should be made of leather or durable synthetic materials and have some padding to offer impact protection to the hips, pelvis, knees, and shins.
- Proper Footwear: Boots are the best footwear when riding a motorcycle. They should be made of a durable material that will protect your feet, ankles, and lower calves. Boots will also allow riders to have a good foot grip on the bike as they ride.
- Eye Protection: If your helmet does not already have eye protection, motorcycle goggles are essential for protecting your eyes from any debris that may fly up while you are driving and obstruct your vision.
- Elbow and Knee Guards: These guards will provide an extra layer of protection in the event that you are thrown from the bike in an accident.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you have the right to file a personal injury claim. To get help pursuing damages like medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering, contact a trusted personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
Co-managing partner, J. Tucker Merrigan, has been with Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Lawyers and has received honors for helping clients get the compensation they deserve. These awards include the following: Top 40 Under 40 for National Trial Lawyers, 2023 Best Lawyers in America for Medical Malpractice, and more. Co-managing partner Peter M. Merrigan has received the following honors for helping his clients in Massachusetts: 2018 Top 40 Under 40 National Trial Lawyers, 2018 Rising Star, Super Lawyers; 2019-2021 Massachusetts Super Lawyer, and more.
Speak With a Trusted Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today Regarding Your Case
At Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Lawyers, our personal injury lawyers have over 100 years of combined experience helping victims of motorcycle accidents. Our experienced legal team will fight for the compensation you deserve, ensuring your legal rights are protected. To schedule a free consultation with one of our motorcycle accident lawyers, give us a call at (617) 391-9001 or fill out our contact form.