How to File a Claim for an Injury You Suffered While on Vacation on Cape Cod
Taking a vacation is meant to be a period of much needed relaxation. However, all too often vacations can become disastrous when an accident occurs and someone becomes injured. If you were injured while on vacation in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, it is crucial you understand your rights and how you can file a claim.
At Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Lawyers, we have over 100 years of combined experience, offering award-winning representation to victims who have been injured while on vacation. Through our dedicated representation and strategic insights, we have helped clients pursue fair compensation. Request a free consultation by calling 617-391-9001 or by filling out our contact form.
After being injured while on vacation on Cape Cod, it is crucial that you understand the steps you must take to file a claim. In Massachusetts, individuals who have suffered a personal injury must file their claim within three years of the date that the incident occurred. To ensure you are awarded the fair compensation you deserve, follow these steps:
- Collect Evidence: You should have photo or video evidence taken from the accident scene when you were injured. This, along with any witness statements, will be essential in strengthening your claim.
- Request a Copy of the Police Report: If you called law enforcement to the scene of the accident, a police report should have been filed. You may contact the police station to request a copy of the report for your personal injury claim.
- Contact a Cape Cod Personal Injury Lawyer: When you work with a personal injury lawyer, not only will they help ensure you are awarded fair compensation for your injury. They will also help you along every step of the claims process.
Whether you were vacationing on Cape Cod for work or pleasure, if you have suffered an injury while on your trip, you deserve to be compensated for your losses.
If you are vacationing on Cape Cod from out of state, you may be concerned about your ability to file an injury claim after your accident. Regardless of what state you’re visiting from, you’re protected by Massachusetts’ state laws when it comes to injuries that occur within the state. If an accident occurs while you are on vacation, you are entitled to the same compensation that a resident of the state would be. The damages you may be eligible to collect based on your specific case are as follows:
- Medical Expenses: After an injury occurs, individuals will often face costly medical expenses such as doctor visits, hospital stays, or treatments. Accident victims should not have to pay these costs out of pocket.
- Lost Wages: If an individual’s injuries have prevented them from being able to work, they should be compensated for all present and future pay they will miss out on.
- Property Damage: If the victim had any property damaged during the accident, they should be compensated for the cost to repair or replace it.
- Pain and Suffering: Injured individuals should be compensated for any physical, emotional, or mental pain and suffering they have had to endure as a result of the accident.
If you are unsure of what damages you may be eligible to collect, speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer who may be able to help by going over the details of your claim.
At Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Lawyers, our trusted legal team has over 100 years of combined experience and have won tens of millions for victims impacted by the negligence of other parties. We fight for the fair compensation you deserve, ensuring your legal rights are protected. Our experienced managing partners, J. Tucker Merrigan and Peter M. Merrigan are proud to offer award-winning representation dedicated to fierce litigation and justice.
J. Tucker Merrigan has been a co-managing partner of Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Lawyers for over a decade. He has been recognized for his commitment to providing trusted representation to accident victims for awards that include: 2018-2021 Rising Star, Super Lawyers, Top 40 Under 40 for National Trial Lawyers; 2020-2021 Lawyer.com Top Attorney Award, and 2023 Best Lawyers in America for Medical Malpractice. Co-managing partner, Peter M. Merrigan, has also been recognized for his tireless work supporting clients pursuing justice for wrongdoing: 2018 Top 40 Under 40, National Trial Lawyers; 2018 Rising Star, Super Lawyers; 2019-2021 Massachusetts Super Lawyer, and more.