Boston Child Injury Lawyer
Thousands of children suffer from severe, life-threatening injuries annually across the United States. From motor vehicle collisions to slips and falls, children are especially vulnerable to these injuries. Many suffer from life-altering complications following the accident, while others do not survive their injuries.
If your child suffered severe injuries due to another person’s negligence or carelessness, the Boston child injury attorneys at Sweeney Merrigan Law LLP can represent you in your insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. Boston clients choose Sweeney Merrigan for our open communication, high success rate, and experience litigating multiple types of personal injury cases.
- Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis. We do not collect legal fees unless we secure a settlement on your behalf. If you do receive a settlement, we will receive a fixed percentage of the final amount as payment.
- Our firm has a proven track record and high success rate of securing optimal settlements on our clients’ behalf. Over our years of operation, our attorneys have recovered over $30 million for our clients.
- Our Boston personal injury attorneys practice open communication with our clients every step of the way. From consultation to the settlement, a Boston child injury attorney will keep you updated on the status of your case and prepare you for any upcoming negotiations or trial dates.
Child Injury Statistics
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), injuries are the leading cause of death for children under the age of 19. Burns, drowning, car accidents and falls are among some of the top causes of child injuries.
The Lucille Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford University provides the following statistics on child injuries:
- Approximately 12,000 children between the ages of 1 and 19 die from accidental injuries each year in the United States.
- Annually, 100 children die in bicycle accidents and 254,000 more suffer injuries.
- Approximately 2,000 children under the age of 14 die as the result of an unintentional injury at home.
Common Causes of Child Injuries
The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development published the most common causes of pediatric injury to children across the United States. Certain types of accidents are more common than others.
Many Boston children suffer injuries in these situations:
- Car collisions. Injuries from motor vehicle accidents are among the top causes of injury death in children. Hospitals treat approximately 150 children every hour for serious injuries from car collisions.
- Injuries from falls are common among children between the ages of 0 and 19. Usually, these injuries are not fatal. However, nearly 8,000 children visit hospitals to treat fall injuries every day.
- Suffocation is one of the leading causes of death for infants, who can suffocate in their sleep. Toddlers can suffocate by choking on small objects and food.
- Most fatal injuries in children between the ages of 1 and 4 come from drowning. Approximately three children per day die from drowning.
- Fires and burns. Each day, two children die from burn injuries. Younger children can suffer burns from steam and hot liquids, while older children often suffer burns from direct fire. Hospitals treat more than 300 children per day for burn injuries.
- Two children die from poisoning every day and 300 children visit emergency rooms for poisoning injuries. Common poisons include medicine, cleaners, and other household chemicals.
In addition to the most common causes of child injuries, children can also suffer damages from multiple other dangers.
- Pedestrian accidents
- Elevator and escalator accidents
- Sports injuries
- Lead paint exposure
- School bus accidents
- Defective and damaged products
- School, daycare, or church injuries
- Firearm accidents
- Sexual abuse
- Bites and Stings
- Sexual abuse
- Dog Bites
- Firework accidents
- School bus accidents
Filing a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of a child requires knowledge of Massachusetts personal injury law and the ability to determine liability in complex cases. To best represent your child injury case, retain the services of a Boston child injury attorney at Sweeney Merrigan.
Contact Sweeney Merrigan today to schedule your free consultation at our Boston, Falmouth, or Greenfield offices.