Pedestrian Accident in Massachusetts: Know Your Rights
Whether you are on the sidewalk or crossing the street at a crosswalk, when a driver is negligent, you may get hit and suffer serious injuries. If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, you have the right to pursue justice by filing a personal injury claim. When filing your personal injury claim, it is important you understand the full scope of your rights when it comes to a pedestrian accident caused by a negligent party.
Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Lawyers is a personal injury law firm helping clients injured in pedestrian accidents due to the negligence of other parties. Our team of pedestrian accident lawyers has more than 45 years of experience providing clients with skilled representation and legal services. We work to help clients pursue the fair compensation they deserve as they recover from their injuries. Call 617-391-9001 or fill out our contact form to request a free consultation with one of our experienced pedestrian accident lawyers today.
Table of Contents
Understand Your Rights After a Pedestrian Accident in Massachusetts
After you are harmed due to another party’s negligence that caused your pedestrian accident, you may be wondering what your next steps should be in regard to pursuing justice for your injuries and losses. It can feel overwhelming and stressful to try to understand your legal options as you recover from your injuries. However, a pedestrian accident attorney can help you have a full knowledge of your rights as it relates to your case.
Filing a Claim and the Statute of Limitations
After a negligent party causes a pedestrian accident that leaves you harmed, you have the legal right to file a personal injury claim and pursue compensation for your losses. However, to maintain this right, you must file your claim per the Massachusetts statute of limitations for pedestrian accidents. A statute of limitations is a period of time in which a person has to file a personal injury claim. You must file your claim within three years from the date of the accident, or your risk forfeiting this right and being able to collect compensation.
After a pedestrian accident, you may be eligible to recover compensation for the losses you have suffered due to the at-fault party’s negligence. The damages you may be eligible to collect include the following:
- Medical expenses: After a pedestrian accident, victims may incur costly medical expenses. Victims should be compensated for the cost of the medical bills resulting from the injury they have suffered due to the liable party’s negligence.
- Lost wages: A pedestrian accident may prevent victims from being able to work while they heal from their injuries. As a result, they should be compensated for all past and present wages they lose out on
- Lost earning potential: If a victim of a pedestrian accident is no longer able to perform their job, they should be compensated for all future wages they would have received before they suffered the burn.
- Property damage: Victims should be compensated for any property damaged in a pedestrian accident.
- Pain and suffering: Victims of pedestrian accidents should be compensated for all the pain and suffering they have had to endure as a result of the negligent party’s actions that caused their injuries.
To get help calculating how much you may be owed in damages, contact one of our pedestrian accident lawyers as soon as possible. Our lawyers at Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Lawyers are dedicated to providing the skilled legal representation needed to help you build a strong claim.
When you work with our pedestrian accident attorneys, you will work with trusted lawyers like Dylan Hixson. Attorney Hixson has handled various personal injury cases and has been recognized for his work helping clients through outlets like Homer Albers Prize Moot Court Competition Finalist.
Get Help From a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, you need to know your legal rights when it comes to getting justice. To ensure you get the fair compensation you deserve, contact one of our pedestrian accident lawyers as soon as possible.
At Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Lawyers, our team of pedestrian accident attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience helping clients. To schedule a free consultation with one of our trusted lawyers, give us a call at 617-391-9001 or fill out our contact form.