Fighting For Boston Families For More Than A Decade

Personal Injury 2022
Better Business Bureau Accreditation
Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys
Medical Malpractice 2022
Massachusetts Bar Association
Best Lawyers
American Association for Justice
The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40

Slip and Fall Accidents on Government Property

To some, a slip-and-fall accident may not seem serious. However, for victims that are injured in these types of accidents, a slip-and-fall can lead to highly damaging injuries like traumatic brain injuries or a spine injury. A slip-and-fall accident can occur anywhere, but if you were injured while on government property, you may be wondering how that could affect your personal injury claim. If you believe that a government entity may have acted negligently and caused your slip-and-fall accident while on their property, you deserve to be fairly compensated. To get help pursuing compensation for your slip-and-fall injury claim, contact a trusted Massachusetts slip-and-fall lawyer as soon as possible. 

At Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Lawyers, we have over 45 years of experience providing trusted representation to victims who have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident while on government property. No one should have to go through the Massachusetts slip-and-fall injury claims process on their own. Through our award-winning representation and strategic insights, we have helped clients pursue compensation as they recover from their injuries. Request a free consultation by calling 617-391-9001 or filling out our contact form. 

Can a Government Entity Be Held Liable for a Slip-And-Fall Accident?

After experiencing a slip-and-fall accident on government property, you may assume that because the government owns the property you were injured on, you will have no grounds to pursue compensation against them. However, government entities may still be held liable for injuries that occur on their property just as any other property owner due to premises liability law.

Premises liability is a legal concept that is applied when the injury was caused by some type of unsafe or defective condition on another party or entity’s property. As with all premises liability cases, if you were injured while on government property, you must be able to prove that the government entity that owns the property acted in a negligent manner that led to your injuries. In order to prove negligence in a personal injury claim, you must be able to prove the following elements:

  • The at-fault party owed you a duty of care
  • They breached the duty of care
  • Their actions led directly to your injuries
  • You suffered damages as a result

If you are unsure what evidence is needed to prove the four elements of negligence in your slip-and-fall accident claim, our team of personal injury lawyers have the experience to help. 

What Damages Are You Eligible to Receive After a Slip-And-Fall Accident on Goverment Property?

After you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident on government property, you will have three years from the date of the incident to file a claim according to Massachusetts statute of limitations. To ensure you get the fair compensation you are owed, it is vital that you contact one of our Massachusetts personal injury lawyers to begin working on filing your claim. 

The insurance providers often use aggressive negotiation tactics to try to offer you the lowest amount in compensation. However, our team of attorneys have experience negotiating with insurance companies to ensure you get the fair compensation that you are owed. The damages you may be eligible to receive include:

  • Medical expenses: After suffering a slip-and-fall accident on government property, you may incur costly medical bills as a result of your injuries. You should be compensated for the expenses you have had to pay as you recover. 
  • Lost wages: If your injuries have prevented you from being able to work, you should be compensated for any lost pay. 
  • Lost earning potential: If your injuries have resulted in a chronic injury or disability, you should be compensated for all future wages you will be unable to earn. 
  • Pain and suffering: You should be compensated for all pain and suffering you have had to endure as a result of your slip-and-fall accident on government property. 

While there is not a specific amount you should expect to receive for a slip-and-fall injury claim, the experienced legal team at Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Lawyers can help you calculate the maximum possible amount in compensation that you may be owed. 

J. Tucker Merrigan has been one of the co-managing partners of Sweeney Merrigan Personal Injury Attorneys for more than a decade. He has been recognized for his commitment to providing representation to his clients with the following awards: 2018-2021 Rising Star, Super Lawyers; 2015-2021 Top 40 Under 40, National Trial Lawyers, and more. Our other co-managing partner, Peter M. Merrigan, has been recognized for his dedicated legal work: 2018 Top 40 Under 40, National Trial Lawyers; 2018 Rising Star, Super Lawyers; 2019-2021 Massachusetts Super Lawyer. 

Get Help From a Massachusetts Slip-And-Fall Accident Attorney

At Sweeney Merrigan Law, LLP our Massachusetts slip and fall lawyers have over 100 years of combined experience helping our clients who have suffered injuries in slip-and-fall accidents on goverment property. We have won tens of millions for victims impacted by the negligence of others. Our team of personal injury lawyers will fight for the damages you deserve, ensuring your legal rights are protected every step of the way. 

To schedule a free consultation with one of our slip-and-fall accident attorneys, give us a call at 617-391-9001 or fill out our contact form

Meet the Personal Injury Attorneys at Sweeney Merrigan Law, LLP